Skip to content | Sunday, 16-May-2021 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Guildford Home Choice

Older people

 We have three types of housing specifically for older people.

  • Properties designated for older people

These are usually flats or bungalows that have been specifically built or are particularly suitable for people normally aged 55 years or over, who can live independently.

  • Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is for older people, normally aged 60 years or over, who can live independently and are able to manage alone, but who prefer the added security of an alarm system and the assistance of support officers. This includes people who are able to care for themselves with the help of a social service care package. All sheltered housing schemes offer self-contained flats or studio flats depending on the age of the scheme.

  • Extra care sheltered housing

Extra care sheltered housing is accommodation for older people, normally aged 60 years or over, requiring higher levels of support enabling them to remain independent in their own homes. Our extra care schemes offer self contained one or two bedroom flats.

Sheltered housing schemes

We have six sheltered housing schemes, three of which have been specifically designed for extra care. Several housing associations also have sheltered housing schemes in the Borough.

Properties currently available

To find out what Council or Housing Association properties are currently available please click property search. If you only wish to look at sheltered or extra care sheltered housing highlight sheltered under 'Property Type' and click on the 'Search' button.

If you apply for sheltered or extra care sheltered housing an assessment of your suitability for this type of housing will need to be undertaken, normally through a home visit, before any offer of accommodation is made.

If you currently live in a council property that is too large for you and are considering moving to smaller accommodation you may be eligible for a cash payment to assist with the cost of moving under our Transfer Incentive Scheme. For more information please click Transfer Incentive Scheme.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel website

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel's website aims to help older people make decisions about where to live, and any support or care they need. It has information about a variety of housing options, including rented accommodation, care homes, options for releasing equity in your home and retirement homes for sale.

Care and Repair

If you either own your property or privately rent accommodation in the Borough and wish to remain in your home but your home is in need of repairs or improvements, the Councils Care and Repair agency may be able to help. Care and Repair is a Home Improvement Agency, which provides an advisory service for older people and those with disabilities to help them repair, improve, maintain or adapt their homes. The advice given by the Care and Repair team is free and you are under no obligation to proceed with any work. For more information on our Care and Repair Scheme click Care and Repair. For access to information about Home Improvement Agencies go to the national coordinating body, Foundations, website at

Our Care and Repair agency also offers a Handy Person Scheme, which may be able to assist you with small works to your property, if you are aged over sixty, disabled or vulnerable. For more information click Handy Person Scheme.

   Older People - Handy Person Van Man

Other services

We offer a range of other services for older people including meals on wheels and community transport. Click meals on wheels or community transport for information on these services.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy
Click here to download the browsealoud software