Skip to content | Saturday, 04-Dec-2021 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Guildford Home Choice

People with disabilities

The Council offers help to people with disabilities to access accommodation that is suitable for their needs or to adapt existing accommodation. The options available will depend on your current circumstances.

Councils own housing stock

If you are a council tenant or are a member of a tenants family and need help adapting your home to meet your needs, we may be able to provide appropriate adaptations for you. It is normally necessary to ask an Occupational Therapist to visit you to assess the adaptations that you require. However, for minor adaptations such as grab rails it may not be necessary for an assessment to be carried out. For more information contact 01483 505050.

Sometimes, it is not possible to carry out the work to your present accommodation and in these circumstances we will talk to you about moving to more suitable accommodation. The council has a small number of properties that have been specifically built for disabled people or which have had substantial adaptations carried out to them. The Council is keen to make the best use of these properties and should vacancies arise will give priority to those people who need the adaptations provided.

If you are a housing association tenant and need help adapting your home we may also be able to help but you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of the adaptation.

Adapted council and housing association properties will normally be advertised through Guildford Homechoice. The advertisement will give details of any adaptations that have been carried out and to whom priority for the property will be given. To search for council and housing association properties currently available click Property Search.

Privately owned housing

If you own your property or privately rent and need help with the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant. This can be used for essential adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and/or to provide essential facilities within it. A grant is paid when the Council considers that the changes are necessary to meet your needs and is satisfied that the work is reasonable and practical. To ensure that the grant goes to the most needy households, the amount of grant you get will be decided by a means test, which will look at the income and capital of you and your spouse or partner. For more information click disabled facilities grant to visit the Communities and Local Government website.

The Council's home improvement agency, Care and Repair may also be able to help you through this process. For more details of this service available to people with disabilities and older people click older people.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy
Click here to download the browsealoud software