Skip to content | Saturday, 04-Dec-2021 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Guildford Home Choice

Private Renting


   1.8 Private Renting picture 1

The Council works in partnership with many private landlords in Guildford and elsewhere to meet housing needs. For most people this is the quickest way of finding a home.

Most landlords require a deposit as well as the first month's rent in advance. The Council's Homes 4 U rent deposit scheme may help with part or all of these costs, depending on your circumstances. Properties can be found from letting agents, individual landlords, newspaper advertisements, notices in shops and websites. You could also talk to your friends, family or workmates.

Remember you can also look for properties in neighbouring areas as well as Guildford. You may be able to make a claim for Housing Benefit, to help with your housing costs if you are on a low income and many landlords accept Housing Benefit. 

Once you have moved into your new home Housing Officers will continue to offer you free, confidential advice and practical support. Our aim is to prevent future housing problems and to improve housing conditions in the private sector. If more support is required it is provided through Riverside English Churches Housing Group who provide a floating suppory service.

Don't forget, by moving into a privately rented home you will not affect your eligibility to be considered for council or housing association housing in the future as you can remain on the housing register. Therefore if you are sharing where you live now and decide to move to your own privately rented home you will normally have the same priority.

For more information contact the Housing Advice Centre. Click How to Contact Us for contact details.

         Homes 4 U Logo  

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy
Click here to download the browsealoud software